Skip to main content

September Competition


SOMETHING OLD
The theme for this competition was to make a card using something old. Something you bought years ago and you’ve never used or you haven’t used it in years. You know that thing you’ve had sitting in a drawer forever and you wonder if you’ll ever use it. I thought this would make for some interesting cards and it sure did!
I have received 17 lovely entries into the competition this month and some by email as well Smile It is hard to judge a card by looking at a print out of it, so I thought I would share all the cards online with you prior to voting this month. That way some of you will get to see a digital image of the cards first. A couple of them were really hard to photograph though, so it' works both ways. Some are better to judge face to face.
Anyway, I’m not putting names on them and I’m not 100% sure that these are in the correct order but here are the cards that were entered. I’ll try to add what is old about them to give you a bit of an idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
The lady who made this card has not been making our style of cards for long so therefore didn’t have anything “old” as such. So she has gone back to her old style of making cards – pre  Kookaburra Crafts days.
IMG_3442
 
This card was made using an old Readers Digest page (10 years old) and some old letterhead paper for the flower. The flower centre is from an old garland (shows how long these things have been around).
Card 1
 
I’m not sure what is old on this card but I’m pretty sure it would be the stickers and possibly the punch. It reminds me of the old style of card that we would make with Evelyn at Get Crafty a few years ago.
IMG_3449
 
Again for this one the old Reader Digest Paper and letterhead paper with the rhinestone garland.
CArd 2
 
This one is an original free embossing folder given when this lady purchased her Cuttlebug a few years ago. I love this folder and wish I’d been given it when I bought my Cuttlebug!!! The embossing powder used on the Congratulations at the bottom of the card is also years old.
IMG_3450
 
Now this is an old technique! I’m having trouble remembering what it is called but I think it’s something like Paper Pricking. These patterns have been around for years.
IMG_3454
 
On this one again we have the old Readers Digest page and also the Rub On letters. They are from a set where most of the letters have been used, so this clever lady decided to mix capitals and lower case to use them up and make an interesting tag.
Card 3
 
Again this card has been made using an older pre Kookaburra Crafts style of card making. Printed onto cardstock and some colourful rhinestones added.
IMG_3457
 
Again I’m not too sure what is old on this one, but I would guess it would be the stitched Christmas tree, and maybe the embossing folder? Correct me if I’m wrong ladies…please.
IMG_3461
 
This one has lots of old things on it. The paper is from the first paper pack bought by this lady, the brocade is from her grandmothers house. Some paper glaze has been used on the bird cage, flowers and tag. It was so old that the plastic packaging had gone yellow lol.
Card 4
 
I remember these butterflies from years ago at Get Crafty. I have some somewhere too. The Fairy Poppets is also one that has been around for years. And this lady has used stickers as well…something we don’t use much these days.
IMG_3464
 
Ahh Dufex! I’ve also got these Dufex 3D’s in my stash somewhere. I loved them when they first came out but never used them. Combined with a glitter floral oval, silver Romantic Rectangle die cut (both are a bit hard to see in the photo) and some beautiful punching, it really is old meets new.
IMG_3467
 
On this one the red pearls are something that was bought years ago and never used. So they have finally come out of their packet Smile
Card 5
 
Who remembers the bubble pack shaker cards? Love this one with the sand in it and the sea horse stamps are as old as the hills. I remember these from my early days of stamping when Printblocks was just a stamp manufacturing company.
IMG_3473
 
Again a really old 3D sheet and I’m pretty sure that the Spellbinders hexagons are something that was bought and hardly ever used. I know I haven’t used mine!
IMG_3481
 
 
This card has been made with a stamp (the bicycle) that was bought and never even came out of it’s packet. Haven’t we all got one of them in our stash! Glad to see it came out and got some use Smile Also the flowers have been floating around in a drawer for years.
Card 6
 
This one (and I could be wrong here) looks to me like the old black silhouette cut outs that I have in my stash. I think mine were sent as a gift from the UK, but these seem to be the same. I will have to check. Also the sticker, which doesn’t show up at all well in the photo is silver and says With Love.
IMG_3483

Thanks again ladies for entering the competition. Voting has already started and I’ll announce the winner on Saturday afternoon (time permitting).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July's Challenge Winners

July's challenge was 'Christmas with Ribbon'. I thought that would give everyone a bit of a challenge and something to think about. We received some lovely entries too, some really different ideas, what a wonderful effort by all of you. I couldn't believe the amount of entries!!  Unfortunately there can only be one winner in each section though.  In the beginners/intermediate section the winner was... Shirley Congratulations Shirley on your win and your great Ribbon Christmas Tree card.  Other entries in the beginners/intermediate section were: Olive Jean Olive Jean In the advanced section the winner was  Pam with this lovely ribbon pine cone card. What a very clever lady.  We all want to know how you did it Pam.  Other entries in the advanced section were: Lisa Glenda Mavis Glenda  Pam Lisa Mavis Glenda Pam

New Collection from Heartfelt Creations

Hit the open road with the retro style Young at Heart Collection This collection is available from October 11th. Please get your pre-orders to me  prior to the 11th. Dies $39.99 12" Paper Pad - $34.95 Stamps $29.99

August Challenge

Thank you to everyone who entered the August Challenge. The theme was "Beautiful Borders" and I think it was quite a challenge as we didn't get as many entries as usual. We did get some gorgeous cards though and the winner this time was   Glenda   with her stunning ivory and gold card using the Quickutz Die - Petite Petals. Congratulations Glenda, you now have a $20 voucher to spend in store.   Here is Glenda's winning card     The encouragement award this month goes to Jean Riches for her lovely use of the Marianne Die to create a fan. What a great idea! The die itself is gorgeous but teamed up with this beautiful Martha Stewart punched border and hand made flowers, it's beautiful. Well done Jean.     This card was also made by Glenda and it takes the theme of borders out of the box, by using flowers as the border. Clever idea!   Rhonda's card using one of my favourite dies in turquoise and white, again with some lovely p